Wednesday 6 January 2016

Captain Character - Refinement


My character Dave is about 3.5 head heights. He has a high nose, low glasses, low mouth and high ears. His head is almost perfectly a square, maybe slightly longer vertically.

After some experimenting, I came to the conclusion that Dave has a very limited pallet of expressions. He is the type of character that expresses himself through actions as opposed to facial expressions. When I stretched his face into different extreme emotions, he completely lost his identity. I thought of more subtle ways to convey his emotion, through the shape of his glasses and the placement and shape of his mouth.

Color


I wanted very neutral colours for Dave as he has a boring office desk job and doesn’t have much of an imagination. I went with neutral bluish pants with dark grey shoes and tie.


For his face, I wanted to do a very light grey wash but that made him look a bit like a robot. To add a touch of human quality, I mixed in a very small spot of red. His face still looked washed out but with a touch of life. To top off his facial aesthetic, I added a plumy red to his nose with the intention of making him look sickly as if he had a cold.

With these refinements set, I am moving on to the character sheets!



No comments:

Post a Comment